Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Live music should be mandatory at the office

Pete Seeger in Kingston in 2012. Freeman file.

The legendary Pete Seeger made the Hudson Valley city of Beacon his longtime home. But now the city is being overrun by hipsters, according to Hudson Valley mag, which is starting to milk this topic more than I am, and that's saying something. 
Don't say I didn't warn you.

Much like Seeger's Camp Woodland near Phoenicia in the Catskills, the musical tradition continues in the nearby Ashokan Center at the end of the month, where the Winter Hoot returns. If you don't live in the Hudson Valley and the Catskills, you're missing out.
NOT YOU, HIPSTERS. YOU STAY OUT.



Jay Ungar and Molly Mason (you are very likely to also know them from "Ashokan Farewell," above, featured prominently in Ken Burn's "The Civil War") AND Mike + Ruthie came by the office yesterday and treated us to a most incredible mini-concert as part of a new monthly feature we're working on but shhhh don't tell anyone I told you it's a secret.

For a minute there, there was music everywhere. This should be mandatory in the office just saying boss just saying.



The Google Glass Explorer program officially ended on Monday as I was figuring out how to reframe the experiment.  That gif above is from a Glass video because I'm trying to make you dizzy.

This also makes me dizzy: Here's a Plymouth kid who didn't go to a party so of course his parents got a bill for it.

This is worse: Here are some ~brands~ doing their thing during MLK Day.

One cat:

One Google Glass photo: Party in the middle, my desk to the right. Ruthy gets extra points for holding her kid while playing.



Yesterday's Internet, Today! is a ~feature~ in which I throw in a bunch of links I tweeted, faved or saw the day before or in the morning. You also get a cat and a Google Glass photo. I don't think you've noticed you can subscribe so I'm going to put the link pretty big.